Day 1 Highlights
Girls’ Field: Strong wins for Greene, Gochenour
- 6-0 girls’ high jump (1.83m) by Nicole Greene (Ponte Vedra, FL sr), just off her PR and an easy winner over four others.
- 49.59m girls’ javelin (Youth 500g) by Katelyn Gochenour (Marian Catholic, IA jr), defeating NSAF Project Jav teammate Sophia Rivera (Brentwood, MO jr) at 44.42m. Team NSAF had no entries in the women’s junior javelin.
- 56.75m girls’ hammer throw (Youth 3kg) by Kamryn Brinson (Throw 1 Deep/Marist, GA jr), taking 2nd behind Yaritza de la C. Martinez of Cuba at 58.27. It was a 1-foot PR for Brinson with the implement. Team NSAF had no entries in the women’s junior hammer.
- 39-4.75 girls’ triple jump by Chinne Okoronkwo (Mountlake Terrace, WA jr), taking 6th behind winner Liliana Breto of Cuba at 42-7.75 (wind-readings to be added).
Girls’ Track: Duncan on fire; Hall, Ghee look strong
- US#1 13.20(nwi) girls’ 100m hurdles (Youth 30”) by Alexis Duncan (DeSoto, TX jr), winning the Youth division by nearly half a second over Adriana Rodriguez of Cuba at 13.64. Duncan had also led the way in the prelims, running a 13.18w(+2.8).
- US#11 11.59(-1.0w) girls’ 100m dash by Cassondra Hall (Northside, Warner Robins, GA jr) in the first of two prelims. Twanisha Terry (Miami Northwestern, FL soph) won the 2nd of the prelims in 11.87(+0.8w).
- US#14 54.09 girls’ 400m dash by Lauryn Ghee (Grassfield, VA soph), finishing 2nd behind Roxana Gomez of Cuba at 52.95. Ghee had qualified 3rd for the final at just 56.18.
- 13.76(nwi) girls’ 100m hurdles (33”) by Anna Cockrell (Providence Day, NC jr), winning the Junior division over Jersy Diaz of Cuba at 14.65. Cockrell had run 13.55(nwi) in the prelim to Diaz’s 14.73.
Boys’ Track: Lyles returning to form; Holloway, MacKay win
- US#10 46.60 boys’ 400m dash by Josephus Lyles (T.C. Williams, VA jr), finishing ahead of Rasheed Tatham (St. Thomas Aquinas, FL sr) at 47.76, giving Team NSAF a 1-2 finish. Deivy Year of Cuba was 3rd at 47.82. Lyles and Tatham had run 48.02 and 49.14 to win their respective semis.
- US#11 10.47(+0.2w) boys’ 100m dash by Noah Lyles (T.C. Williams, VA jr), winning the 2nd of two semifinals. Ryan Clark (Banneker, GA sr) ran 10.65(-0.4w) in the 1st semifinal.
- 14.34 boys’ 110m hurdles (39” Junior/HS height) by Grant Holloway (Grassfield, VA jr), winning a race where he was the only competitor after Cuban Rafael Noguera false-started and Holloway’s teammate Norman Grimes (Canyon, TX jr) scratched. Holloway ran 13.93(+0.1w) in the semi, followed by Noguera at 13.99 and Grimes at 14.97.
- 3:58.69 boys’ 1,500m run by Logan MacKay (Davis, UT jr), outkicking Cuba’s Francisco Estevez (4:00.36) in the final lap.
Boys’ Field: Rogers’ rules; Ward 3rd vs. Cuban stars
- 19.19m boys’ shot put (Youth 5kg) by Isaiah Rogers (Throw 1 Deep/Campbell, GA jr), winning by more than 3 meters.
- 7.37m boys’ long jump by Ja’Mari Ward (Cahokia, IL jr), taking 3rd behind Cuban standouts Maykel D. Masso at 7.90m and Juan M. Echevarria at 7.85m.
- 14.82m and 14.52m boys’ shot puts (Junior 6kg) by Ryan Camp (Archer, GA jr) and Adam Kelly (Barrington, RI sr), taking 3rd and 4th behind Cuba’s Jose F. Gonzalez at 16.73m
- 54.84m boys’ javelin by Grayson Hill (Cathedral Prep, PA jr), victorious as the only Junior-age thrower and with the 800g implement (the other 7 throwers were all Youth-age and throwing the 700g jav).