Caribbean Scholastic Invitational
The Caribbean Scholastic Invitational will return to Havana, Cuba for the 2nd time this year, with the meet set for Friday-Saturday, May 27-28, 2016.
The NSAF started the meet in 2006 in Puerto Rico, but after a 1-year hiatus in 2014, we were able to move the meet to Cuba. You can read the story of creating this opportunity in late 2014/early 2015 HERE. Last June's historic CSI in Havana was an outstanding meet as Team NSAF and many top Cuban Youth and Junior athletes produced 2 days worth of stellar performances. The hospitality shown Team NSAF by our Cuban hosts was also unforgettable, highlighted by an opening ceremonies that featured outstanding musical performances and a finale that featured both NSAF and Cuban teams in the stage waving their national flags together!
2015 Highlights: DAY 1 | DAY 2 | FULL RESULTS. This was the ROSTER for Team NSAF
New for 2016: The Cuban federation has told us the track will be renovated with a new Mondo surface for this year's meet. Plans are also to hold the CSI in conjunction with the 2016 Memorial Barrientos, a historic, elite-level invitational that will include Olympians and aspiring Olympians from Cuba, other Caribbean nations and possibly the USA.
More things to know for 2016 CSI
- 14 boys and 14 girls will be selected for the following events: 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 100mH/110mH, 400mH, LJ, TJ, SP, DT, JT and HT. The team will be selected in late March.
- The team will consist of student-athletes who are primarily underclassmen (non-seniors) in 2016. Most of the team members will be juniors, but others may be chosen at the NSAF's discretion.
- Athletes from the 25 states which will have completed their state series by May 21 are eligible for selection.
- Strongest consideration will be given to those who performed well at NBNI, except in obvious exceptions like the 400H and the long throws. We may also consider athletes with strong early-season outdoor marks for 2016.
- Those who are invited should pursue getting a passport ASAP (perferably by April 1).
Travel details will be announced soon, late March or early April.
The 11-member Team NSAF administrative staff for CSI will include the following:
- NSAF Executive Director Jim Spier
- NSAF COO Joy Kamani
- Coaches Alex Armenteros and Paul Limmer
- Medical Staff: Dr. Rob Jones, Dr. Elizabeth Wheeler and Claudia Chapel
- Sports Psychologist Dr. Margaret Ottley
- Additional staff members and special assistants: Kristi Rieger, Steve Underwood and Edwin Rivera