Day 1 Highlights
Championships: Swedish medleys stand out
- Meet record and US#1 2:08.88 girls' Swedish medley relay by the Union Catholic, NJ team of Amaya Chadwick (100), Amaya Chadwick (100), Jordan Colverson (200), Alana Herran (300) and Sydney McLaughlin (400), coming from behind to defend their 2014 title with McLaughlin's 51.28 anchor. For perspective, only 6 girls have ever run faster than McLaughlin for an open 400 (and none of them sophomores, as she is).
- In the previous heat (2 of 3), South Dade Express (Miami Southridge HS, FL) had broken the 2013 meet record of 2:08.98 (Wakefield, NC) with their 2:08.93 -- anchored by Symone Mason's 52.72. Finishing 3-4-5 in the event overall were Parkland NC, Nansemond River VA and Miami Northwestern FL at 2:10.93, 2:10.97 and 2:10.99.
- Meet record and US#1 1:52.64 boys' Swedish medley relay by the Western Branch, VA team of Akinshe Hill, Stephan Arjoon, Micaiah Harris and Tyson Robinson. They beat Union Catholic, which almost broke the record as well at 1:53.93, and kept the Jersey school from sweeping the event. UC's Taylor McLaughlin joined his sister in having the event's top anchor legs as he ran 45.39, but he couldn't quite catch the Virginia school.
- Meet record and US#1 7:06.14 (#2 all-time) girls' 1-mile race walk by Ashleigh Resch (Beavercreek, OH sr), winning her 3rd NBN title (2 indoors, 1 out). She was followed by Lauren Harris (Sachem East, NY soph) at US#2 7:12.96 (#4 all-time), while defending champ Meghan Podlaski (Colonie, NY sr) was 3rd at 7:30.67.
- US#2 6:46.23 boys' 1-mile race walk by Cameron Haught (Walk USA/Yellow Springs OH soph), completing an indoor/outdoor NBN double. Defending champ Spencer Dunn (Edward Little, ME sr) nipped 8th-grader Juan Moscoso (Central Florida Gliders), 7:09.89 to 7:10.17, for 2nd.
- US#1 16:20.72 girls' 5,000m run by Ryen Frazier (Ravenscroft, NC sr), the 3rd victory in the event from the Frazier family (sister Wesley won in 2011, 2013). She won by more than 17 seconds as Erin Dietz (Emerging Elites TC/) was 2nd at 16:38.17 and Libby Davidson (E.C. Glass, VA soph) took the bronze at 16:50.89. Frazier broke away after 1800m and ran the last 1600m in 5:11 after going out in 5:29.
- US#2 14:35.71 boys' 5,000m run by Will Lauer (Sioux Falls Lincoln, SD sr), winning by just under 5 seconds after building a huge lead of more than 13 seconds around halfway. Conor Lundy (Fordham Prep, NY jr) was 2nd in US#3 14:40.61, kicking fastest among a pack of five with a 61.13 closer. Eric van der Els (Brien McMahon, CT jr) was 3rd at 14:41.05.
- 157-2 girls' javelin throw by NSAF Project Javelin thrower Sophia Rivera (Brentwood, MO jr), taking the lead on her first throw and never giving it up. She was followed by Project teammate and 2014 champ Tairyn Montgomery (Redondo Union, CA jr) at 156-8 and Gabby Kearney (Roseburg, OR sr) at 155-0.
- 3,119 pts. in day 1 of the girls' heptathon by Brittany McGee (Admiral Farragut, FL), leading fellow Floridian Michelle Atherley at 3,096. McGee didn't win an event, but was 2nd in the high jump with 5-7 and had no real weak event. Athlerley was strong in 3 of 4 events, with her 14.06 100H the best (2nd). Third-place Dallyssa Huggins of Ontario, Canada had the best high jump at 5-9.25. Dominique Beltrez (Lakeland/Panas, NY sr) had a great start, including a leading 13.82 in the 100H, but a fall while leading in the 200 dramatically reduced her score.
16 Emerging Elite, freshman and junior high meet records (!), topped by North Meck SMR
- US#2 3:25.89 boys' EE 1,600m sprint medley relay by the Charlotte Heat (North Mecklenberg HS, NC) team of Vincent Crisp (1:50.80 anchor), DeAllen Hargrove, Mynez Nicholson and Ishaq Smith. They beat the MR by more than 4 seconds, won their section by more than 9 seconds and the event by 7-plus seconds.
- 40-7.5(+0.6w) girls' EE triple jump by Jaimie Robinson (UCTC/De La Salle, IL soph), smashing the old mark of 38-10.5 by Tiyi Boone (Newburgh NY, 2011). Kelsia Moore (Durham Striders/Cummings HS, NC frosh) also broke the old mark in 2nd at 38-11.75(0.0w).
- 4:12.30 boys' EE mile final by Chris Heydrick (River Hill, MD sr), winning heat 2 of 2 and breaking the old mark of 4:12.51 by Andrew Goldman (Hearndon, VA) from 2014. Taking the next 2 spots were Logan MacKay (Davis, UT jr) at 4:13.39 and Tanis Baldwin (East Henderson, NC sr) at 4:13.67.
- 14.06 girls' EE 100m hurdles prelim by Shamaria Lovett (Miami Northwestern, FL sr), winning heat 1 of 6 and qualifying 1st overall. Three others were also faster than the old meet record of 14.16: H2 winner Alexus Pyles (Clarksburg, MD jr) at 14.12w(+2.3), H6 winner Victoria Jones-Alleyne (New Rochelle, NY jr) at 14.13(+0.9w) and H3 winner Akira Rhodes (Charlotte Heat TC/Cox Mill, NC fr) at 14.14. In the final, Pyles won at 14.25(+0.5w), followed by Jones-Alleyne at 14.32. Lovett was just 8th at 15.03.
- 7:52.24 boys' EE 4x800m relay final by Top of the Hill TC (Summit HS, NJ) team of Ryan Blume, Mitchell Booth, Matt Sinunu and Leland Jones, with Auburn, AL also beating the 2014 MR (7:53.13, Cheektowaga '14) with a very close runner-up finish at 7:52.61. West Springfield, VA was 3rd at 7:55.74.
- 1:28.70 boys' EE 4x200m relay final by the Andover Warrior TC (Andover HS, MA) team of Sean Caveney, Hamza Naveed, Jeremy Travaglini and Ray Gorzela, winning heat 4 of 5 and beating the old mark of 1:28.88 (Cary NC, 2011). Heat five 1-2 finishers 5 Star (James Hubert Blake HS, MD) and Oxford, MS took the next 2 spots overall at 1:29.18 and 1:29.36.
- 11.84(+0.2w) girls' EE 100m dash prelim by Brooke Raglin (Bryan Station, KY soph), winning heat 1 of 6 to qualify 1st overall and nipping the old mark of 11.85 by Shakinah Brooks in 2013. Heat five 1-2 finishers Kayla White (South Dade Express/Miami Southridge, FL sr) and Lauren White (Leesville Rd, NC jr)) qualified next at 11.89(+0.4w) and 11.91(+0.4w). Raglin was just 3rd in the final at 12.04(0.0w), however, as Amira Aduma (Phoebus, VA soph) won at 11.93 and Kayla White was 2nd at 12.01.
- 55.13 girls' EE 400m final by 7th-grader Danielle Bess (American Heritage, FL), breaking the old mark of 55.25 by Ann-Marie Clarke (New Haven, 2008). Taylor Manson (Motor City TC/East Lansing, MI soph) was 2nd at 55.27 and Micah Meekins (Marriotts Ridge, MD jr) 3rd with 55.84.
- 47.96 boys' EE 400m final by Ky-Mani Dula (Bull City Express/Southern Alamance, NC jr), beating the old mark of 48.08 by Antonio Reynolds (Orlando, 2009). He was followed by Raymund Clarke (Abraham Clark, NJ sr) at 48.51 and Braylon Wilkerson (Summerville, SC sr) at 48.70.
- 190-6 boys' EE hammer throw by John Putnam (Long Island Alliance/Massapequa, NY sr), beating the old mark of 181-5 by Bryan Zapata (Hope, RI, 2013). Rhode Islanders Michael Coppolino (Cumberland jr) and Jacob Greenless (Woonsocket soph) finished 2-3 with 174-2 and 172-5, respectively.
- 181-2 boys' EE javelin throw by Jacob Stanko (Manchester Central, NH jr), beating the old record of 178-10 (Aybars Gungor, Amhearst-Pelham MA, 2013) and winning by more than 10 feet. Christopher White (Catholic-New Iberia, LA) at 170-7 and Connor Finnegan (Billerica, MA) at 167-4 were 2-3.
- 171-1 boys' EE discus (completed Saturday) by Cameron Yon (St. Mary's Striders/Great Mills, MD sr), breaking the old mark of 170-7 by Jackson Bauvier (Spartanburg, 2013). Yon took the lead on his 3rd throw after runner-up Daniel Hardiman (Farmington, CT jr) hit 171-0 in the 2nd round.
- 136-4 girls' EE javelin throw by Meghan Owens (King MS 8th grader, Harrodsburg, KY), breaking the old mark of 133-5 by Nicole Genard (Somerville, 2011). 2nd and 3rd went to Jacqueline Horner (State College, PA) at 118-8 and Devan Walsh (Danvers, MA) at 118-5.
- 12-3.5 girls' EE pole vault by Landon Kemp (Greenville, MI soph), leading a 1-2-3 finish by Michigan vaulters. She tied the 2014 record by Hailey Sweatman (James Island, SC). Emma Bauer (South Lyon, MI sr) and Dana Tessmer (Dexter, MI sr) both cleared 11-11.75, with Bauer getting 2nd on misses.
- 18-5.75(-0.5w) girls' frosh long jump by Breana Gambrell (Athens TC, PA), beating the old mark of 18-1.75 by Lauren White (St. Davids, 2012). Amari Jackson (Woodrow Wilson, VA) was 2nd at 18-1(-1.1w).
- 4:31.94 boys' jr high 1-mile run by Noah Tindale (Guilderland TC, NY), breaking the old mark of 4:37.96 by Coleman Mitchell (Durham, NC). He was followed by Brian Mahoney (Pearl River TC, NY) at 4:35.68 -- also breaking the record -- and Lucas Upton (Team Eagle, IN) at 4:40.41.
More Emerging Elite Winners
- 9:19.06 girls' EE 4x800m relay final by the Saline, MI team of Haleigh Cummings, Hannah Cummings, Abby Rentschler and Jessi Larson -- coming within .40 seconds of the meet record (9:18.66 by Pinelands-Tuckerton in '14). They were followed closely by Montclair, NJ at 9:19.50 with Waterford Mott, MI taking 3rd at 9:24.25.
- 1:41.72 girls' EE 4x200m relay final by the Pro Speed TC (Milford Mill, MD) team of Capria Hawkins, Elon Woodson and Jada Miller (4th athlete not named), winning heat 2 of 6 and just .39 off the meet record of 1:41.33 from 2009 (Camden, NJ). Heat six 1-2 finishers Falcon TC (Great Bridge HS, VA) and Top of the Hill TC (Summit HS, NJ) were 2-3 overall at 1:43.33 and 1:43.47.
- 47-8(+1.0w) boys' triple jump by Devin Bethea (Thomas Dale, VA sr), just two inches off the meet record and a huge 2-foot PR. He was followed by JaQuaveon Beacham (Granby, VA jr) at 46-10.25(+1.4w) and Malachi Davis (Above Xpectations TC/Mt Pleasant, DE soph) at 46-6.75(+0.2w).
- 4:11.62 girls' EE 1,600 sprint medley relay by the Withrow, OH team of Niyah Carpenter, Tia Roberts, J'Alyiea Smith, Tia Roberts and Simone Mason, beating Emma Willard, NY at 4:12.42 and Weequahic TC (NJ) at 4:12.68.
- 4:57.05 girls' EE 1-mile run by Jessica Drop (Coginchaug Reg., CT jr), winning section 3 of 3 over Meggan Grams (Boonsboro, MD sr) at 4:59.57. H2 winner Emma Planck (Downington East, PA sr) was 2nd overall with 4:58.72.
- 15-3.5 boys' EE pole vault by Hayden Fox (Hempfield Area, PA soph), winning on misses as three others -- Chris Taylor (McGill-Toolen, AL sr), William McGuire (Penfield, NY) and Jonathan Graham (King George, VA sr) -- cleared the same height.
- 136-2 girls' EE discus throw by Alva Hicks (Classical, RI sr), finishing ahead of Carisma Holland (Seneca Gliders/Seneca, SC soph) at 134-6 and Seasons Usual (Frederick Douglass, MD soph) at 132-1.
- 6-5.5 boys' EE high jump by Brent Kimbrel (Kentwood TC/East Kentwood, MI), winning a jump-off over Jyles Etienne (Stony Brook TC, NY), also at 6-5.5.
- 10.77(-0.2w) boys' EE 100m dash final by Isiah Garland (Rustburg, VA jr), followed by Joshua Pearson (Fieldale Collinsville, VA jr) at 10.91 and Melvin Whitehurst (Kempsville, VA sr) at 10.92 for a 1-2-3 Virginia finish. Garland led qualifying with 10.67(-0.5w), winning heat 3 of 5 and missing the meet record by just .06. Heat 5 and 1 winners Trey Beasley (John A Holmes, NC sr) and Pearson qualified 2-3 at 10.72(+0.7w) and 10.75(+0.9w), respectively.
- 14.43(+0.5w) boys' EE 110m hurdle final by Elliott Graves (Durham Striders TC/Reidsville, NC jr), nipping Rainey Anderson (Westlake, GA fr) at 14.44. Kymere Pritchett (Second Chance TC/Howard Tech, DE) was 3rd at 14.51. Graves qualified 1st at 14.27(+0.5w) in prelims to win heat 4 of 6. J'Len Wilson (Bunker Hill, NC sr) and Anderson were 2nd and 3rd overall at 14.30(+0.8w) and 14.34(+0.5w).
- 47.18 girls' EE 4x100m relay final by the Western Branch, VA team of Jadalyn Gaines, Keaunna Jones, Milan Parks and Funlayo Oluwole. They were followed by fellow Virginians War TC (Nansemond River HS, VA) at 48.02 and 5 Star (James Hubert Blake HS, MD) at 48.08. Kentwood TC (East Kentwood HS, MI) led prelims with 47.62, winning the 4th of 7 heats, but was just 7th in the final. Meanwhile, War TC and Western Branch qualified 2-3 at 47.68 and 48.28.
- 42.22 boys' EE 4x100m relay final by the 5 Star (James Hubert Blake HS, MD) team of Nathan Phillips, DerageTy Mason, Paul Kennedy and Joseph Oxley. They were followed by Raines, FL at 42.54 and Bullis, MD at 42.62. Raines, FL led prelims with 42.38, winning the 2nd of 6 heats, followed by Bullis at 42.39 -- while 5 Star qualified 3rd.
- 1:33.99 boys' EE 800 sprint medley relay final by the Rahway, NJ team of Nasir Velez, Tyler Denman, Lenworth Wilson and Deshawne Bunion. They were followed by Running Rams (Suitland HS, MD) at 1:34.98 and Lakeland/Panas, NY at 1:35.09.
- 1:48.48 girls' EE 800 sprint medley relay final by the Teaneck, NJ team of Ja'Neil Humphrey, Rashya Edwards, Toni James and Aminah Sarraga. They were followed by Kentwood TC (East Kentwood HS, MI) at 1:49.62 and Union Catholic, NJ at 1:50.66.
More Freshman winners
- 55.24 girls' frosh 400m dash final by Dorriann Coleman (Motor City TC/Oak Park HS, MI), holding off Kennedy Simon (Star Track TC/Westlake, GA) at 55.31.
- 49.70 boys' frosh 400m dash final by Devonte Fuller (Peak Performance, SC), topping Tre Harley (Centennial, NV) at 49.94.
- 10.81(-0.2w) boys' frosh 100m dash final by Eric Allen (Bullis, MD), ahead of Ronald Fuller (Lower Richland, SC) at 10.89 and Coleton Beck (Blacksburg, VA) at 10.97. Fuller led qualifying at 10.82(+0.2w), winning heat 1 of 8, while Allen had qualified 2nd overall in 10.84(+0.6w) with his H3 win.
- 11.95(-0.3w) girls' frosh 100m dash final by Shamarah Shannon (Miami Northwestern, FL), edging Najiya Cornish (Above Xpectations TC) at 12.02. Shannon had qualified 1st overall with her heat 2 (of 7) win at 11.92(-0.5w), while Cornish had qualified 2nd with another 12.02(-0.1w).
- 10:51.19 girls' frosh 2-mile run by Jessi Larson (Saline, MI), with Alexis Gourrier (Centennial, NV) 2nd at 11:09.67.
- 9:40.19 boys' frosh 2-mile run by Dalton Hengst (McDonogh, MD), with Nicholas Yanek (Pleasant Valley, IA) 2nd at 9:43.04.
- 21-2.75(+0.0w) boys' frosh long jump by Austin Kratz (Christopher Dock, PA), followed by Travon Laidler (Raines, FL) at 20-9.25(+0.1w) and Cassidy Henshaw (Traverse City Snow Dogs/TC Central HS, MI), also at 20-9.25(-0.7w).
- 11.92(-0.5w) girls' frosh 100m prelim by Shamarah Shannon (Miami Northwestern, FL), winning heat 2 of 7 and qualifying 1st overall -- just .08 off the meet record. Heat 5 winner Najiya Cornish (Above Expectations TC) at 12.02(-0.1w) was the 2nd qualfier overall.
- 10.82(+0.2w) boys' frosh 100m prelim by Ronald Fuller (Lower Richland, SC), winning heat 1 of 8 and qualifying 1st overall -- just .07 off the meet record. Heat 3 winner Eric Allen (Bullis, MD) at 10.84(+0.6w) was the 2nd qualifier overall.
More Junior High winners
- 5:07.12 girls jr high 1 mile run by Rebecca Clark (Pure Athletics NTC, FL), with Sarah Flynn (St. John and Paul TC, NY) edging Athing Mu (Trenton TC, NJ) for 2nd -- 5:08.06 to 5:08.14.
- 193-1 boys' jr high javelin throw (Youth implement) by Roman Mitchell (Team Powerhouse 1), winning by more than 30 feet over Timon Edelen (Jr Striders) at 158-5.
- 112-7 girls' jr high javelin throw (Youth implement) by Alexis Clark (James Monroe TC, VA), followed by Jordan Gary (Bulldog TC, NC) at 93-11.