BEST OF THE DAY: TESSA BARRETT!!!
NATIONAL RECORD 16:11.85 girls’ 5,000 meters for Tessa Barrett(Abington Heights, PA senior). She broke the PA 3k state record en route, clocking 9:35.4h.
National soph class HSR to Stephanie Jenks (Linn-Mar, IA soph) in 2nd with 16:37.50 (#6 all-time), followed by Claire Howlett (Westhill, CT senior) 16:58.35 in 3rd. Frosh class HSR 17:08.45 for Jessica Lawson (Corning, NY) in 5th, and PR 17:16.82 in 9th for Kayla Montgomery – the Mt. Tabor, NC senior whose story of competing successfully despite dealing with multiple sclerosis gave the event tremendous national attention.
US#1 10:00.75 meet record boys’ distance medley relay (#2 all-time) by Cardinal O’Hara PA, with Kevin James (3:03.83), Isaiah Cooper (51.72), Nick Smart (1:53.69) and Jim Belfatto (4:11.51) anchoring.
Flyers TC (Chaminade HS, NY) US#2 10:04.37 (#7 all-time) tops Warrior TC (West Chester Henderson HS, PA) US#3 10:04.45 (#8 all-time) and Northport HS US#4 10:04.98 (#10 all-time) in tight battle for 3rd. Top 1,600 anchors from WC Henderson senior Tony Russell 4:07.16 and Chaminade senior Sean Kelly 4:08.32. Jay Navin of Kinetic (Saratoga HS, NY) had 3:01.36 for 1,200 leadoff leg.
- US#1 14:24.33 boys’ 5,000 meters (#5 all-time) by Conner Mantz (Sky View, UT senior), running away from Aaron Templeton (Hardin Acad., TN senior) 14:37.84 and defending champ Elijah Armstrong (Pocatello, ID junior) 14:48.72.
- US#1 11:43.39 girls’ distance medley relay (#10 all-time) for West Springfield VA, holding off Haddonfield Memorial NJ US#2 11:43.94 (#12 all-time) and Staples CT US#3 11:45.79 (#15 all-time). Top 1,600 anchor legs by Staples soph Hannah Debalsi 4:46.16, West Springfield senior Caroline Alcorta 4:47.57 and Haddonfield’s Briana Gess (4:48.64) (1st track race of HS career).
- US#1 5-10.5 girls’ high jump by Ellen Dipietro (Marshfield, MA senior), beating US#5 5-8.5 performances by defending champ Cyre Virgo (Fleetwood, PA junior) and Megan McCloskey (Germantown Acad., PA senior).
- US#2 and Emerging Elite meet record 21.64 boys’ 200 by Grassfield VA soph Grant Holloway, edging Tosin Oyewold (Long Reach, MD senior) US#4 21.70. Holloway was just .02 off of Rynell Parsons’ soph class 200 HSR.
- US#2 and Emerging Elite meet record 4:03.83 girls’ sprint medley relay by Springside Chestnut Hill PA, winning by five seconds.
- US#2 and Emerging Elite meet record 3:31.79 boys’ sprint medley relay by Boyz DC (Dunbar HS DC), with runner-up Motor City TC (Oak Park MI) 3:34.63 and previous section winner Pioneer TC MA (St. Johns MA) 3:34.51 also both under old MR.
- US#3 and Emerging Elite meet record 3:52.15 girls’ 4x400 relay by Imp Nation (Cary HS, NC), five seconds up on two earlier (previous sections) meet records as old 3:58.44 standard was beaten three times.
- US#5 and Emerging Elite meet record 1:40.49 girls’ 4x200 by Motor City TC (Oak Park HS, MI), prevailing over War TC (Nansemond River HS, VA).
- US#6 and near-Emerging Elite meet record 3:20.69 boys’ 4x400 by Bowie MD (just .04 off record), more than two seconds faster than Nittany Valley RC (State College Area HS, PA) 3:23.13 (which had won earlier section).
EMERGING ELITE GIRLS
- EE G-400: Meet record 55.42 for Canadian youth standout Victoria Tachinski (Manitoba), more than a second faster than anyone else.
- EE G-800: Meet record 2:11.93 by Malia Ellington (Davidson, NC junior), ahead of Amy Piccolo (Ursuline, MA junior) 2:12.48 and Terri Turner (Springside Chestnut Hill, PA frosh) 2:12.80. They had the top 3 times in the penultimate section as the final (“fastest”) section was captured by Mt. Airy TC 8th-grader Gabrielle Wilkinson in 2:12.86. Six broke the old meet record in all.
- EE G-2 Mile: Meet record 10:39.40 for Julia Heymach (Manvel, TX frosh), coming from behind to outkick Evelyn Chavez (Porter, TX senior) 10:39.79 (also under MR).
- EE G-60 dash: Meet record 7.59 for Lauren Rain Williams (Lakewood, CA frosh), with Ashley Grazen (Lancaster, NY soph) prevailing in a tight battle for 2nd at 7.64.
- EE G-4x800 relay: Near-meet record 9:23.44 for Assumption, KY (.66 off record), outrunning Cornwall, NY 9:25.50.
- EE G-60H: 8.70 for Shayla Broughton (Medgar Evers, NY soph), nipping Ariel Davis (Summerfield, NC junior) 8.72.
- EE G-200: 24.59 for Martha Sam (James Hubert Blake, MD junior), defeating Isabella DiMare (Notre Dame, MA junior) 24.71.
- EE G-TJ: 38-11.5 for Britney Gibbs (Oshawa, ONT, CAN), outjumping SaraKaye Freeman (Howard Taft, NY junior) 38-3.5.
- EE G-PV: 12-0.75 for Moriah Fitzgerald (Avon Grove, PA senior), beating several others at 11-7.
- EE G-SP: 42-6 for Throw 1 Deep’s Noelle Parker (Whitewater, GA junior), with Egypt Parker (Bronx Leadership Acad., NY soph) 2nd with 41-8.5.
- EE G-LJ: 18-6.5 for Imani Obieke (Edison Tech, NY soph), topping 18-1.75 by Autumn Robinson (Elizabeth Seton, MD junior).
- EE G-HJ: 5-6.5 for Samantha Hjelmar (Burnt Hills, NY soph), beating five others at 5-4.5.
- EE G-WT: 52-11 for Ariane Dubois (Orford, QC, CAN), defeating Taniya Mitchell (Mt. Vernon, NY senior) 51-4.
EMERGING ELITE BOYS
- EE B-HJ: Meet record 6-8.25 by Isaiah Kyle (Morristown, TN junior), clearing on his first attempt and with only one miss overall before bowing out at 6-10.25.
- EE B-4x200: Meet record 1:29.94 for Long Reach MD, with Danbury CT 2nd overall with 1:31.52.
- EE B-400: Meet record 49.12 for Kemarni Mighty (Clara Barton, NY soph), beating Deshawne Bunion 49.29 (Rahway, NJ junior) and out-clocking Rico Gomez (Frederick Douglass, MD junior) 49.21 (a winner of a previous section).
- EE B-60 dash: Near-meet record 6.91 for David Connolly (Summit, NJ senior), with Tosin Oyewole (Long Reach, MD senior) 6.962 nipping Bryan Sosoo (Reservoir, MD senior) 6.968 for 2nd.
- EE B-4x800: 7:57.41 for Cornwall NY, beating Green Hope NC 7:58.92.
- EE B-2 Mile: 9:20.82 by Toby Hardwick (Newark, OH senior), outlasting Jay Ort (Winnepeg, MB CAN) 9:21.15.
- EE B-60H: 8.03 for Robert Carter (Columbia MD senior) over Tyrik Henry (Enfield, CT junior) 8.08.
- EE B-LJ: 23-0.75 for Bradrick Shaw (Hoover, AL junior), his first jump holding up to win over Casey Burley (Warwick Valley, NY senior) 22-10.
- EE B-SP: 54-10.75 for Curtis Jackson (Bloomfield, CT senior), winning on his last throw over two others at 54-3.25.
- EE B-PV: 14-10.25 for Chandler Kennell (Century, MD senior), Chris Rough (Westhill, CT junior) and George Donahey (Mifflin County, PA senior), with Kennell winning on misses.