Last year's blazing NBNO girls' 100m hurdles final included now-graduated Anna Cockrell, 2015 champ and HSR-setter Tia Jones and eventual winner Chanel Brissett. Jones and Brissett lead the '17 returnees in the event. Photo by Vic Sailer, photorun.net
One day 'til 2017 NBNO takes off!
Are you ready to run, jump, throw and walk ... or cheer wildly for those who do? It's just two days until more than 5,000 athletes from almost every state, plus Canada and Mexico, will congregate at Aggie Stadium on the campus of North Carolina A&T State University for the 27th New Balance Nationals Outdoor, set for this Friday-Sunday, June 16-18, 2017.
This is our 8th NBNO since we joined forces with our great partners from New Balance. In 2016 we celebrated the 25th overall anniversary of our outdoor championships since 1991 -- with 5,700 athletes, special guests and 3 days of exquisite competition: Four national records, 7 national class records and 22 meet records! Who will forget barrier-breaking performances by Sydney McLaughlin and her Union Catholic teammates? Or records and dramatic finishes in the boys 4x1 mile and girls distance medley relays? Or the epic shot put battle between Adrian Piperi and Jordan Geist?
Well, get ready for MORE great student-athletes to run and walk faster, jump higher and longer, and throw further than ever this weekend! In fact, you can still purchase ADVANCE TICKETS for the meet HERE.
First, stay connected to the meet with the LIVE WEBCAST with our RunnerSpace.com partners, LIVE RESULTS and START LISTS ... and stay tuned for the big reveal of our new Race Day mobile app Thursday! Key meet instructions will be emphasized in our newsletter tomorrow as well.
So Who's Coming to NBNO?
- 2016 Olympian and many-time record-setter Sydney McLaughlin (Union Catholic, NJ sr) in her final NBN meet after 10 national indoor and outdoor titles (6 individual, 4 relays), going after her own HS and World Junior 400H record and perhaps a few more relay standards.
- Sammy Watson (Rush-Henrietta, NY sr), also concluding a great NBN career that has featured seven overall NBN crowns (4 individual, 3 relays) and multiple records. She's favored to win her 4th NBN 800 and is in the mix in the mile.
- U.S. double amputee Paralympian and Utah record-holder Hunter Woodhall, after an inauspicious debut at NBNI, pushing for podium finishes in the 400 and with his Syracuse 4x4 teammates.
- Record-setting shot putters Alyssa Wilson and Jordan Geist, already with 4 NBN titles between them, plus javelin record-holder Madison Wiltrout and US#1 discus thrower Turner Washington - #4 all-time
- Frosh- and soph-class record-smashing sprinters Tyrese Cooper (4 NBN titles already) and Brian Herron, along with World Youth 100m record-setter Anthony Schwartz
- 2016 100 champ Kaylor Harris and her US#1 4x100 squad from Mesquite Horn HS in Texas (44.94)
- Two-time IAAF World 400 medalist Lynna Irby, the defending 400 champ here.
- The past two NBNO 100m hurdle champs, HS record-setter Tia Jones and Chanel Brissett, and 60m hurdle national record-setter Trey Cunningham in the 110H.
- Powerhouse programs from Miami Northwestern, Western Branch VA, Bullis MD, Oak Park MI (Motor City), Nansemond River VA (WAR) -- winners of dozens of national championships -- and many more.
- Current US leaders in more than 25 events and more than a dozen overall or class national record-setters!
So many great sponsors!
As always, we're very grateful for our Presenting Sponsors at Eastbay. Stop by their booth and check out all of their great training and racing apparel, footwear and much more.
The Official Baton Supplier for the NSAF is RelayBatons.com. Special batons will be presented to Championship relay winners during the award ceremonies. Also be sure to check their booth with your relay teammates to have your own personalized relay batons created.
Be on the lookout for our Recovery Zone at NBNO, sponsored by ROLL Recovery! It will be a space where athletes can stretch and roll out before, after, or between races and field events. Athletes can also sign up for giveaways and try and/or purchase ROLL Recovery products, which will be for sale at special discounted event pricing.
New with us here in 2017 is Chill Skinz, which offers instant cooling towels and headwear. Check out their booth and try their products at the track!
Our NBNI competition bibs are provided by Athlete Race Numbers, the Official Bib Printer of the NSAF -- and creator of our fabulous new record banners. Meet Directors, be sure to check out Athlete Race Numbers for your own meets and use the handy NSAF16 code to receive a discount.
We are glad to have Primo Water, our Official Water Sponsor, and Gatorade back with us for 2017. Temperatures will likely be hot, so please enjoy Gatorade and/or fill up your water bottles at the Primo Hydration Stations around the track and facility.
Try an ElliptiGo at NBNO, the world’s first elliptical bicycle which delivers a fun, comfortable and effective cardiovascular workout experience that inspires people and improves their lives -- while eliminating impact on joints. They have helped Great Oaks High School and Coach Doug Soles build a national distance dynasty out of Temecula, California. Learn more at their website and Facebook Page.
We welcome our new partners from the Sanford Sports Science Institute (SSSI), now our exclusive national sports medicine research partner. Sanford Health – an integrated health system headquartered in the Dakotas – will conduct research in conjunction with the NSAF to help with the development of future Olympic and World Championship hopefuls, starting with a special combined Project Javelin Gold and Project Triple Jump clinic August 10-13 at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls. The clinic will be open to any interested athletes and coaches.
Take Your Coaching to the Next Level with The ALTIS Foundation Course
The education staff at ALTIS has just released the ALTIS Foundation Course, an online course designed to give coaches of all sports the foundation of knowledge required to coach effectively and with confidence.
The ALTIS Foundation Course spans three semesters of online learning and covers an array of important topics, from Biomechanical Concepts and Applied Physiology to Athlete Management and Speed Development Basics. Each semester contains four self-paced modules, featuring helpful videos, learning checks, and suggestions on real-world application.
The ALTIS Foundation Course was written by some of the greatest coaches in the world – PJ Vazel, Derek Evely, and legendary coach and educator, Dan Pfaff. The first semester is available now online at education.altis.world.
Special offer: Enter promotional code “NSAF” at check-out to receive a 5% discount off the full course.
The ALTIS training facility in North Phoenix is host to some of the world's greatest Track & Field athletes, including Olympic 200m silver medalist Andre De Grasse, Olympic 110m hurdles gold medalist Aries Merritt, and many others from over 30 countries around the globe.
In addition to coaching athletes on-site year-round, ALTIS provides online training and education for coaches of all sports through The Foundation Course, and their subscription service, ALTIS 360. ALTIS also offers week-long coaching apprenticeship programs at their facility in Phoenix.
Get ready for the meet with 1 Mile to You
The National Scholastic Athletics Foundation and New Balance Nationals Outdoor have partnered with the new feature film, 1 Mile to You, based on the acclaimed high school running novel Life at These Speeds by Jeremy Jackson.
Critics call 1 Mile to You a "psychologically credible young adult movie interested in its characters" and "as sport movies go, 1 Mile to You is a cut above the rest". The film stars Billy Crudup, Graham Rogers, Liana Liberato, Stefanie Scott, and Tim Roth. Watch the trailer here!