Brian Herron (right) defeats Tyrese Cooper (center) and Eric Allen Jr. (left) in last night's national record 300m dash. Photo by Mary Ann Magnant, Milestat.com (Photo page).
The VA Showcase, an NSAF Select Meet in its second year, continues to establish itself as one of the finest in-season meets in the nation. Fast times have quickly become the rule on the new Liberty U. 200m banked track in Lynchburg, VA.
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- National record and World Junior best 32.64 300m dash by Brian Herron (Flight 400 TC / Lakeside HS (GA) jr). Herron and Eric Allen Jr (Bullis HS, MD sr), at 32.84, were both under the previous HSR of 32.87, set by Tyrese Cooper at Millrose in '17. Cooper (Miami Gardens Xpress / Miami Norland HS jr), the defending NBNI 200 and 400 champ, was 3rd in 33.12 -- giving this race the 1-2-5 performances in prep history.
- US#1 3:39.60 girls 4x400m relay by the Bullis School (MD) squad of Masai Russell, Kasey Ebb, Sierra Leonard, and Shaniya Hall -- #2 in prep history and beating Hydal HS, JAM at 3:40.26.
- US#1 10:02.58 distance medley relay by the Loudoun Valley HS (VA) team of Colton Bogucki (3:02 1200), Jacob Hunter, Connor Wells and Sam Affolder (4:07 1600). Afforlder also ran on Carlisle's national record team while at that school last winter.
- US#1 6.77 girls' 55m dash by Thelma Davies (Girard Coll, PA jr), leading prelims, moving to =#10 on the all-time list.
- US#1 38.38 girls' 300m dash by Britton Wilson (Mills Godwin, VA jr).
- US#2 4:13.63 boys 1-mile run by CSI alum Dalton Hengst (McDonogh School, MD sr), a multiple NBN All-American, to win the Boys 1M AAU race.
- US#2 7.28 boys' 55m hurdle prelim by Kurt Powder, trailing only CSI alum Kyle Garland on national list. Garland was also in the prelims (3rd) and will face Powdar in today's final.