The National Scholastic Athletics Foundation is thrilled to announce its Cedric Walker Development Grant recipients for Fall, 2016. Grants have been awarded to 16 track clubs and high school track teams (see below) in honor of the late Cedric Walker, who passed in March, 2013, shortly after that year's New Balance Nationals Indoor. Cedric was a “irreplaceable” part of the NSAF. He served the sport for more than 20 years – as a board member; founder of the Flower City TC in New York; coach, mentor and team manager at many levels, from local to international; and beloved family member, among the many things he meant to so many people. See Joy Kamani’s memorial.
The list below includes outstanding programs in 10 different states, stretching from Pennsylvania to Georgia to Wyoming.
- Anna United TC, Anna, TX
- Benton Parks and Recreation, Benton, AR
- Colts XC, Carson, CA
- Gastonia Jaguars TC, Gastonia, NC
- Louis E. Dieruff HS, Allentown, PA
- Maynard Jackson HS, Duluth, GA
- Memphis School of Excellence, Memphis, TN
- New York Novas TC, Jamaica, NY
- North Chicago HS, Beach Park, IL
- Ocean Breeze Wave Runners, Staten Island, NY
- Saints Youth TC, Chicago, IL
- St. Stephens Indian HS, St. Stephens, WY
- The Wings TC, Houston, TX
- USATF Long Island, Seaford, NY
- VO2Max TC, Bronx, NY
- Valhalla HS, Valhalla, NY
The grants are intended to help teams and clubs purchase equipment, improve facilities, meet the needs of their student-athletes, enable coaches' education and much more. Grants ranging from $500-$800 are awarded and may be used for any reasonable purpose pertaining to the recipient’s track and field program. These are development grants.
As an additional dimension to the program is that each team or club must also participate in a volunteer service program in their community. They are also encouraged to pledge to “Win with Integrity,” a nod to a former USATF program that speaks to much of the spirit of this grant and our Foundation.
We’ll look forward to hearing about and publishing stories, photos and videos of the activities of these clubs and teams, both in terms of their community service projects and the goals they are able to accomplish with these funds. Please send us your photos and videos!